Thursday, April 19, 2007

Workloads

No matter what company you work for, no matter what occupation you work in, you have a "workload." A workload is defined as "the amount of work you are expected to complete, assuming you work 80 hours per week and forgo any semblance of a personal life." For various reasons, most people's workload is greater than what it should be - either because the team or company is short-staffed, or because management has unrealistic expectations of what their employees should be capable of. For whatever reason, chances are, you are expected to do more work than you are capable of doing, and if you manage to somehow complete all this work, you are rewarded with more work.

However, I have noticed a disturbing trend. It's possible that this is an isolated incident, but somehow I doubt it. First, a little background information.

In my company, there are a variety of different jobs, and many of these jobs have different levels or steps. If you work there long enough and do a good enough job, you could earn a promotion to a higher step within your job. This comes with a pay raise (in theory at least), and a title change. For example, in one job your title may be "Peon Level I" then you get promoted to "Peon Level II" - see the difference? Or maybe you get bestowed the title of "Senior Peon" or "Head Peon" or "Supreme Ruler of Peons." The titles may change from company to company, but you get the drift. (Note: I'm not referring to management positions here, just regular jobs that have different levels.)

At any rate, these higher levels are generally given to people who have proven that their knowledge of their job and their industry is superior to most others, and their dedication and hard work is rivaled by few others. Or management was forced to promote someone and chose the person least likely to call in a bomb threat. Either way, the person is recognized as being a leader and this usually means they earn a little more moolah as a result.

Back to the disturbing trend. One would think that people who are at the higher levels, earning more money, would be expected to either do more work than those at the lower levels or otherwise perform more difficult work than those at the lower levels. It only makes sense to have your most talented employees tackle the most challenging work, or at least tackle a larger amount of it, especially if the most talented employees are making more money than the rest of the group. But like I said, this would make sense; therefore, it doesn't happen.

Now, don't get me wrong - this isn't the fault of the employees. In fact, I'd be a hypocrite if I said I wouldn't want to earn more and do less. I challenge you to find me one person who would willingly take on more work and a pay cut at the same time. No one would, of course, and almost everyone would love to make more money and do less work. However, when it becomes apparent that the underlings are doing more work than the Supreme Ruler of Peons, and getting paid less to do it, it certainly doesn't foster a positive atmosphere in the workplace.

You may be asking, but how do you know the underlings are doing more work? It depends on what kind of job you do. If you work in an office and everyone uses a computer, you may be able to track the amount of work done by everyone in your group, especially if everyone gets their work from a central work list. If you work in a store or restaurant, you can probably witness firsthand the amount of work done by the Head Peon and compare it to the amount of work you do. You get the idea.

In my job, for example, everyone has access to view each other's workload. This is done for coverage purposes - if someone is out sick, the team can work directly off of that person's workload and keep things current. This access also shows which people have the most work to do, and which people have the least. Ironically, in my group, the people who have the least amount of work to do are also "Head Peons." Again, I want to point out that this isn't their fault, and the people on my team are not angry at them. Instead, it's management that is to blame and doesn't even recognize the problem. And how do you think your boss would react if you went to him and said that you do more work for less money than so-and-so and you want something done about it? Would he be more likely to say "You're right! Would you prefer a raise, or less work?" or "I hear Sanjaya needs a new hair stylist, how does your resume look?"

So what do you think it does for employee morale when people realize that they are doing more work than the people "above" them who are making more money? Does this situation occur at your job? Share your stories with us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate, though in hindsight I have no one to blame but myself. During a slow period I was asked to help out on a one-off project...did such a good job that it turned into a long-term project and all mine! Worked with, and impressed, one of the account execs at the company...soon that acct exec would work ONLY with me, regardless of my workload.

I was hired as a project manager, by the time I left I was communications director, training manager, special projects manager, and I even inherited a little IT work along the way....and, yeah, this was all in addition to my 40 hours of PM work each week!

Nearly all of the work I inherited came from my boss's boss and her workload was reduced to the point that she was making up projects to keep busy. One day I found out how much she was making...next day I gave notice. (though getting out before the dirt hit the fan from all the insurance fraud was a main motivator!)

In hindsight, if I had found a way to say, "Due to my PM workload, I am unable to devote the necessary time and energy to this project, Jane can probably help you more than I can" life would have been much better!

Anonymous said...

Ok, it's time to comment on this. I really love your blog!

I believe I am a "head peon" but I am really bucking for "Supreme Ruler Of Peons" because like you say. . . there is less work to do & more recognition for that particular title.

This isn't the first job I have seen it in and I'm sure it won't be my last. . . well, maybe if I make it to supreme. . .

Anyway, I understand exactly what you're saying. There should be more than just a raise to the higher level; there should be a higher expectation from this person and I have to say that this is not the case where I work. I only wish I knew how to correct the problem.

Anonymous said...

I've been considering how to post without anyone recognizing me, or my
place of business. So, to wax generic:

Said to me in the last week - "We're all busy, (me)...ALL FOUR of us are
too busy to take on extra work. That's why (co-worker) needs to get
scheduling off his plate. We're giving it to you."

So, to sum up, we're ALL too busy - we all need to get things "off our
plates"...here's more work for you. And you don't get that week off you
asked for (just found that out).

Apparently, a month just isn't enough time to juggle the part-timer's
hours. I guess I'll find out now that I'm handling the schedule.

Yay me.

Anonymous said...

Workloads are a fantasy in the eyes of management. I've sat through a quarterly meeting to hear how the goal of having reasonable caseloads have finally been met. In awe I look at the person next to me. Let's see, a year ago we heard the goal for our caseload would be say 400 and yet my name is attached to 650. This may explain why there is no longer money in the budget for outings and awards. Management uses the metric system.